Translate

9 мая 2013 г.

My first impressions after the reading


I have already read the short story "The Tell-Tale Heart" by Edgar Poe. Like many of his other works, the "Tell-Tale Heart" is a dark story. Is it interesting? As for me, yes. Especially, when you read it at night, by the light of  the night-lamp, and there is no one near you. Madness and paranoia are the dominant impressions I’ve got from "The Tell Tale Heart"





During my reading,  it was given the impression that I heard that heartbeat, the “low, dull, quick sound--much such a sound as a watch makes when enveloped in cotton, that the old man’s eye, “a pale blue eye, with a film over it”, was piercing into me. On the one hand, I believed that the main character is not crazy, he insists so skilfully on it. He never considers himself mad, his mind is consumed with thoughts of his master's "evil eye" tormenting him in silent agony. But on the other hand, he is giving the impression of serious hallucinations or paranoia. It becomes clear that this madman cannot judge reality from fantasy. In this story Poe takes us to the mind of a mad man as he struggles with the thoughts that caused him to do the unthinkable.


So, I advise you to read this story and to share with your impressions)

1 комментарий: